Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP Forums

Recently active Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP forums and community discussion threads. Post your question or story about Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP and connect with others who have experience with the same medications. No registration is required and your identity remains anonymous.

Page of 1     New Thread    RSS Feed
ip 272 sulfamethoxa 800
this medicine is a white scored oval-shaped tablet imprinted with ip 272. ten tablets given for pain in leg after epidural in spine. Two weeks prior another doctor gave 20 pills for ear infection. it caused more pain than I had, medicine did not help, i crawl against walls and furniture when I get up. what is it? ## The white oblong scored tablet with IP 272 on it contains Sulfamethoxazole 800 mg + Trimethoprim 160 mg, and is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. Based on what you are describing it sounds like you may be having a serious reaction to either the drug, or the procedure which you recently underwent. I would suggest you notify your prescribing physician ASAP. More information about this drug is available at: Do you have any other questions or information to add? P...
Updated 3 months ago.

Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 800-160mg and Alcohol
I have been taking Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim twice a day for 30 days. Today is my last day. How long should I wait to drink alcohol!? ## With most medications, alcohol can intensify the side effects, so you may experience more nausea, dizziness, and drowsiness than usual. It could take about a week for things to return to normal, after finishing this antibiotic, so it would be best to proceed with caution, according to FDA reports. How are you feeling? Have you experienced any side effects? ## I feel pretty fine. It's been a couple days since I last took it and ended up drinkin at the Cubs game last night and I was alright. I'll probably chill for a couple more days before I do again to make sure it's out of my system. Thanks for the reply!
Updated 3 months ago.

Drinking while Taking Sulfameth tmp
can you have a few cocktails while taking this med? ## Sulfamethoxazole with Trimethoprim is an antibiotic used to treat various types of infections. For this class of medications, you are warned against the use of alcohol, because it can aggravate the side effects, such as: nausea, drowsiness and dizziness. This could cause you to become impaired much faster than usual, for instance, you may act as if you are completely drunk, after just 2 drinks, where as it may normally take you 4 or 5 to even feel tipsy. Are there any comments or questions? ## I had alcohol while on sulfameth/tmp and did not read warning label. Now I realize that is a big problem. How long does nausea etc. usually last?
Updated 4 months ago.

tmp/smz ds 160-800mg and leg weakness
I am taking this pill for a bladder infection and am suffering from a leg weakness since starting treatment. I experienced a similar thing in the past from a low sodium count. Can this be due to taking this pill? ## The FDA lists the typical side effects of this medication as possibly including nausea, dizziness, headache, non-allergic skin rash, and diarrhea. How are you feeling, now? Has there been any change?
Updated 6 months ago.

cirrhosis and Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim
Can I take this drug if I have cirrhosis? I had hep.c but was successfully treated with harvoni. Warning notes with this drug state quite clearly, "do not take if you have liver disease".
Updated 6 months ago.

sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim tab 800 160 for cellulitis
It was prescribed for cellulitis. I'm allergic to penicillin and am looking for information on whether sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is used to treat cellulitis? ## Yes, it can be prescribed to treat cellulitis, it is a broad spectrum antibiotic. The FDA lists its typical side effects as possibly including nausea, dizziness, headache, non-allergic skin rash, and diarrhea. Is there anything else I can help with?
Updated 7 months ago.

SMX TMP antibiotic tablets past use-by date
I have enough 800/160 Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim tablets for a course, but they are 2 years beyond their use-by date. Will they still be effective? ## This medication does lose efficacy, once expired, so it would be best to dispose of it and see your doctor for a new prescription, if you have an infection requiring an antibiotic, as directed by the FDA. Its typical side effects are listed as possibly including nausea, dizziness, headache, non-allergic skin rash, and diarrhea. Are you on any other medications?
Updated 9 months ago.

Is bladder sloughing possible after medication is finished?
I have had chronic UTI's my whole life but ran into real problems since 1998 after cystocele/rectocele repair. I had a suprapubic catheter for a few days. I got a nosocomial infection in hospital. Before all my UTIs were E. Coli. I got Kleibsiella pneumonia in my urine & over the years a variety of others. I am on cephalexin 250mg prophylactically because I have interstitial cystitis for the last 10 years. About once a year I get enterobacter aerogenes that is resistant to everything except SMX-TMP. this last time was about 6 weeks ago. Made by Vista. Skin on my hands kept peeling no matter how much lotion I used. I was also nauseated constantly. I was an RN for 38 years until 2010 when IC & fibromyalgia put me on disability. Sorry this is so long but felt background is sign...
Updated 1 year ago.

smz-temp 800-160
My 44 year son taking this drug for bacterial bladder infection. Following completion of the med, his urine is dark & grainy & it's difficult to urinate. Might this be a side effect of the drug? ## Side effects of Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim can include a wide variety of different symptoms. You can see the list of them I posted below. I think you'll find that one or more of these symptoms could be exactly what he is experiencing: Fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild; pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding; cough, feeling short of breath; diarrhea that is watery or bloody; feeling restless or irritable, confusion, hallucinations, seizure; slow heart rate, weak pulse, se...
Updated 2 years ago.

Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim (TMP)
What does the pill look like? ## Well, since it is a generic for Bactrim, there are many on the market and they will all have different markings, depending on the dosage and manfacturer. Some markings include: IP 272 5898 V MP 85 93 089 IP 271 MP 81 E 112 SZ 286 DAN DAN 5547 33 BIOCRAFT And this is in no way a comprehensive list. Do any of these match the pill you are asking about? If not, please post back with the imprint from your tablet and I will gladly look it up for you. ## I believe it has hs 94 on it
Updated 4 years ago.

Smz Tmp Ds 800 160 Tab
is this used for urinary tract infections ## Hi Janet - yes, this SMX-TMP is a combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, in the ratio of 5 to 1, used in the treatment of a variety of bacterial infections (including urinary tract infections). You can read more details about this medication at: Do you have any other questions or information to add? Please post back if you do... ## I just had surgery 3 weeks ago. Removed 2 stones in Parotid gland, sent home with ceflex, I was faithful and used every bit. 2 days ago UTI came on. Rx'd w SMZTMP DS 800-160 2x daily for only 3 days. I called yesterday for test results and positive for E coli. Now we are on a holiday weekend and I took my last SMZ TMP pill a little while ago. I was fine all day, up till an hour ago. Same symptoms. Pa...
Updated 5 years ago.

red fingertips and cheeks
my 6 year old is taking smz-tmp 200-40/5 sus hi-t,has been taking twice aday for two days now.tonight her cheeks and finger tips were red,and she said finger tips were burning,dr not available any suggestions. ## what would make my fingertips purple
Updated 5 years ago.

Sulfameth Trimethoprim 800/160 tabs
Recently had deep cleaning of teeth my dentist and am now experiencing gum soreness of a molar that feels like an infection. Also had shoulder replacement surgery in August, 2010. Is medication indicated. ## Yes, it is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, so hopefully it will help with your molar. You might want to try swishing some room temperature salt water in your mouth, as that has helped me with gum soreness in the past. More details about this medication are available at: Do you have any other questions or information to add? Please post back if you do. Hope this helps & good luck!
Updated 6 years ago.

Sufameth Tmp Ds
i've been taking sufameth/tmp ds prescribed by my doctor for a nose infection , i've taken it 3 days and my b.p is very high,my stomach hurts, i don't feel like eating, i feel terrible, can i stot this medication now. ## It sounds like the side effects of this drug are worse than the symptoms you were trying to fight. I think that anyone who is experiencing this degree of side effects should contact their doctor as soon as possible to let them know what your experiencing and seek out other remedies. Following up with a Naturopath is probably going to be a "safer" alternative than returning to your doctor for more prescription medication, as you pay the price in side effects rather than for it to just work how it should. Most natural remedies have very little, if any ...
Updated 6 years ago.

rash on legs after 9 days of use
My 5 yr old was placed on this med for possible uti and she came home from school today with a rash on 1 of her legs, she was given a bath and by the time she went to bed there was some rash on the other leg. Does she need to go the dr or just need benedryl? ## i suggest a dermatolist, also if you live where there are deer ticks i check for lyme diease, esp. if she s running a fever ## A rash could indicate the beginnings of a severe skin reaction to this drug. If you have not already done this, notify the prescribing physician asap. Good luck and please let us know what ends up happening... ## What about burnning sensations on my legs, n my face .
Updated 6 years ago.

Chest Mucous
Is Sulfameth Trimethoprim Used For Chest Mucous? I have a cough with lots of yellow/green mucous. ## This medication is indicated for the treatment of bacterial infections. So, if your doctor believes you are experiencing the chest mucous as a result of an infection, then this is probably the best medication for you to take at the moment. You can read more about this drug at: Hope this helps!
Updated 6 years ago.

septran suspension
my daughter 10 years old.she face frequently UTI even after giving antibiotic after doing culture test.now docter priscribed septran suspension 5ml daily for 1year.Is there any side effect to my child for giving septran for ! year ## Has your daughter been tested for vesico-ureteral reflux? A condition where urine from the bladder is pushed back thru the ureters into the kidney during urination. The bladder never completely empties due to a defect in the valve between bladder and ureter. The residual urine gives bacteria a chance to multiply causing chronic UTI's. I was told by a pediatric nephrologist when my daughter was diagnosed at age two that this is condition primarily affects girls and is one of the main causes if chronic UTI's in children. ## Yes,vesico-ureteral reflux ...
Updated 7 years ago.

Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim (TMP)
What does this medication look like? ## Well, since it is a generic for Bactrim, there are many on the market and they will all have different markings, depending on the dosage and manfacturer. Some markings include: IP 272 5898 V MP 85 93 089 IP 271 MP 81 E 112 SZ 286 DAN DAN 5547 33 BIOCRAFT And this is in no way a comprehensive list. Do any of these match the pill you are asking about? If not, please post back with the imprint from your tablet and I will gladly look it up for you.
Updated 7 years ago.

Purbac Side Effect on infant
I was told to give my daughter who is eight months Purbac 5ml daily. As a result the medican made her suffer from nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, fatigue and insomia. The Doctor told me that she was reacting to the medication what does that mean? HELP
Updated 7 years ago.

contents
Is this medicine gluten-free? ## To find this out, you will need to find out who manufactures the brand of tablets you have, gluten is an inactive ingredient and its use can vary from one manufacturer to another.
Updated 9 years ago.

Discuss Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP

Discuss: Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim, SMX-TMP

5) Text Verification: *

TRUSTe

Note: All times displayed are GMT - 7.

This information has been independently compiled and is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from a qualified healthcare professional; nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. For more details please see the Medical Disclaimer. Site content is Copyright © 2005-2017 MedsChat.com and is protected under U.S. and International Copyright laws. All Rights Reserved. This page was last updated on 6 July 2017.

We are committed to your privacy.

Copyright © 2005-2017 All Rights Reserved. MedsChat® and The People's Medicine Community® are registered trademarks of Limelight Innovations L.L.C.