Septra Forums

Recently active Septra forums and community discussion threads. Post your question or story about Septra and connect with others who have experience with the same medications. No registration is required and your identity remains anonymous.

Page of 1     New Thread    RSS Feed
is sulfameth used for tooth infections
My doctor prescribed septra ds800 160 milligrams as a prophylactic for an abscess on my leg, now I have a major toothache under my bridge, can I use that for my tooth ache as Well and if so, how much do I use of what they gave me, can I increase the dosage? And if so how much do I increase it by in order for it to work effectively? ## Hello, Michelle! How are you? I'm sorry about the infections. You should see your dentist, as while this is an antibiotic, it may not be the appropriate one to treat the infection causing your toothache. Additionally, you need to have the underlying cause repaired to prevent the infection from recurring. The FDA lists the typical side effects of antibiotics as possibly including nausea, dizziness, headache, non-allergic skin rash and diarrhea. Is there...
Updated 1 year ago.

Can Septra DS be prescribed for an abscess tooth?
I chipped one of my back molars and a few days later I woke up with a swollen face and tooth pain, so I immediately went to an urgent care clinic and was examined by a doctor. The doctor prescribed me hydrocodone for the tooth pain and Septra DS for the infection in the tooth, and the next day I got into to see my dentist for X-ray and exam. Afterward, I explained to my dentist everything I mentioned above about seeing an Urgent Care clinic and what I was prescribed. My dentist confirmed with me that the antibiotic Septra was fine to take for my tooth infection. However, I am now doing research on the internet about what doctors/dentists typically prescribe for a tooth abscess and all the results is showing amoxicillin and other types of penicillin as a first choice antibiotic, so now I...
Updated 1 year ago.

sinus infection, Septra, loading dose
When SMZ/TMP-Bactrim-Septra is used to treat a sinus infection, is it the normal practice for the provider to prescribe a loading dose for the initial dose because of the longer half-life? ## Hello, Scott! How are you? No, usually you just start and continue it at once steady dose for the duration. Did your doctor provide you different instructions? The FDA classifies this medication as an antibiotic and its typical side effects may possibly include nausea, headache, dizziness, non-allergic skin rash and diarrhea. Is there anything else I can help with?
Updated 2 years ago.

Can Septra Ds 800 be used for flu-like symtoms?
May I take this drug for flu-like symtoms (i.e. nasal congestion, sore throat, runny nose)? ## Hello, Tyler! How are you? No, Septra will not do anything to treat cold or flu symptoms. It is an antibiotic that is only effective at treating bacterial infections, but cold or flu are caused by viruses. Taking it, when it isn't appropriate, creates the risk of your developing antibiotic resistant bacteria, which could put you at serious risk, if you need to treat an infection in the future. Side effects to this medication may cause nausea, dizziness, headache, non-allergic skin rash and diarrhea. According to the NIH, there are currently four drugs available to treat the flu, which your doctor can prescribe, if necessary. However, in most cases, it is simply best to let it runs its cour...
Updated 2 years ago.

Is Septra the same thing is Bactrin
Hello there, my name is Stacey I'm from Florida. My reason for messaging is I saw you helping the others seeking help. Since it was the weekend I wanted to ask if septra will help my tooth which has started hurting. Its been broke for quite some time now. I don't want it to get worse. Please help me. ## Hello, Stacey! How are you? Yes, it is the same as Bactrim and it will only help if the tooth is infected, since it is an antibiotic. It may also cause side effects, such as nausea, dizziness, non-allergic skin rash and diarrhea. However, it will not fix the fact that the tooth is broken, so the infection will keep returning, until you see your dentist and have the issue corrected. Is there anything else I can help with?
Updated 3 years ago.

coxsackievirus
My child was diagnosed with an ear infection and also coxsackievirus. I disagree with the ped dr. on this. He has had no blisters on either his hands or feet and no fever, both which are the classic symptoms. He does however have a rash on his face. He had a small area below his lip that has been there since May which was attibuted to always being wet from teething. But that area has since turned into a bigger rash and crusty and has spread some to his nose and chin. he also has blister bumps similar to ant bites on his legs and groin area and rectum. These have since popped and scabbed over. My guess is Impetigo. My question is, the ped dr put him on Septra Im guessing for the ear infection. Will this help if it is Impetigo and not coxsackievirus, or do I need to get a second opinion, ...
Updated 3 years ago.

can septra or cleocin cause a false positive drug test
muy husband have a drug test and came positive, he being prescribed for antibiotics spectra and cleocin.thanks
Updated 3 years ago.

Septra800 160mg
i experienced severe cramping in arms ans both legs taking this medication is that a knowm side-effect with this drug ## Hi Glenda, Based on my research, Septra (Trimethoprim + Sulfamethoxazole) does list "joint aches" as a potentially severe side effect that you should contact your doctor about immediately. Ref: nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a684026.html#side-effects If anything, your doctor may simply have you change dosages or switch medications to something more tolerable. You can learn more about this drug on the page for Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim Details I hope this info helps to answer your question!
Updated 4 years ago.

sulfameth trimeth ds
used for infection ## What is the brand name for this medication and what is it prescribed for? ## Sulfmeth/Trimeth DS' brand name is: Septra DS ## i WAS GIVEN SULFAMETH/ TRIMETH FOR A SPIDER BITE ## I was given Sulfameth/Trimeth DS to treat a staph infection ## I WAS GIVEN THIS DRUG FOR AN INFECTED TOE ANDNOW I AM AFRAID TO TAKE IT. ## using sullfmeth-trimeth for a uti, would like info about drug and its risks ## can this be taking for hiv ## can u have sex when taking the pill and how fast does it work would it be a problem if ur taking diet pills ## I'm taking sulfameth/trimeth for and inner ear infection; are there any foods I SHOULD NOT be eating while taking this. My diet has been sugar/flour free for over 3 wks.
Updated 4 years ago.

Sulfamethox Trim 800 160
Sulfameth/Trimeth 800/1APX and novo-Trimel DS 800/160mg and Septra DS 800/160mg - are these the same mediations except the one without the DS is single strength? ## All three of those medications appear to have the same dosage of Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim. The DS does stand for double-strength, however I'm not sure what the "1APX" stands for, as not even google can figure that one out Lol. Did you mean to put 160mgs? Whether or not it says DS at the end, it still seems to contain the same amount of Sulfamethoxazole as the others, and in therefore should also have the same amount of Trimethoprim. There are different dosages of this drug out there, but all of these ones are "DS" dosages. I hope this logic helps! ## thank you , no it was 1APX on the bottle ...
Updated 4 years ago.

Septra & anemia
I was perscribed this medication for an extreme case of impetigo and scarlet fever, along with a topical medication. I was completly unaware of the side effects of the medication and the interactions. I am anemic, and have been experiencing many of the side effects that this medication can cause, but I am worried about what could possibly happen because of my anemia (its actually iorn & folic acid deficient) does anyone know what can result from taking this medication with this condition? any help is greatly appreciated.....
Updated 6 years ago.

septran suspension
what is the best treatment for my daughter, age two years who is suffering from VUR ## is there any side effect of Septran. my son is of 4 years. we are giving him 5ml septran daily. when he was of 3 years E-coli infection was found in his urine test. Ultra sound, DMSA, MCU reports are fine/clear. Dr. has advised to give him septra till he is 5 years old. pls. advice is there any side effect of septran? pls. send through e-mail.
Updated 6 years ago.

septra-bactrim
Prevent infection. Also known as SMZ/TMP ## (SMZ + TMP) Sulfamethoxazole + Trimethoprim is a sulfonamide antibacterial combination of Trimethoprim and Sulfamethoxazole, in the ratio of 1 to 5, used in the treatment of a variety of bacterial infections. You can view a detailed description of the drug, by clicking on the link below... Do you have any other quesitons or information to add? Please post back if you do...
Updated 7 years ago.

septra ds tabs
FRIEND GAVE THEM TO ME FOR SOME VIRUS ## Septra DS - is an antibiotic and antibiotics do not work for viruses, they work for certain bacterias.
Updated 9 years ago.

can it cure sexually transmitted d
can Septra cure sexually transmitted D
Updated 9 years ago.

what's is it for
what is this medicine for ## Septra is an antibiotic its a sulphate so you need drink alot of water with it. Its used for infectionions.
Updated 9 years ago.

septrads
oval, pink tablet MO53 Septra DS -- prescribed for bladder infection in a child to be taken 1/2 tablet at bedtime -- what is the amount of septra ds in this tablet?? ## Septra is actually just the brand name of this medication, not an active ingredient. This is a combination antibiotic that contains Sulfamethoxazole 800mgs and Trimethoprim 160mgs.
Updated 10 years ago.

septrads800-160tabs
I have a infected gum area due to having a tooth pulled can i take septra ds for this ## I also have an infection from a tooth pulled can I take septrads ## It is best not to try to diagnose and self treat, you should speak to your dentist and he will be able to prescribe the best antibiotic to treat your problem. Some antibiotics work better than others for certain conditions and due to drug resistance, you shouldn't try to diagnose and take something you have left over from a different condition.
Updated 10 years ago.

Septra
What is the main reason to prescribe septra. My friends has a swelled up nose and half of her upper lip and they prescribed her with Septra what could that be?
Updated 12 years ago.

Discuss Septra

Discuss: Septra

5) Text Verification: *

TRUSTe

Note: All times displayed are GMT - 7.

This information has been independently compiled and is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from a qualified healthcare professional; nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. For more details please see the Medical Disclaimer. Site content is Copyright © 2005-2017 MedsChat.com and is protected under U.S. and International Copyright laws. All Rights Reserved. This page was last updated on 9 March 2016.

We are committed to your privacy.

Copyright © 2005-2017 All Rights Reserved. MedsChat® and The People's Medicine Community® are registered trademarks of Limelight Innovations L.L.C.