Do I Have The Right To Records Of 16 Yrs From My Long-time Treating Dr?

2 Replies Updated

Conversation Starter

christine Says:
via mobile

My dr treating me for 16 yrs. was closed down by DEA over 1yr ago. Since I've had no pain relief. I need my records of treatment & testing before the 16 yrs of treatment but my long-time treating dr (from Philadelphia, Pa.) refused to even reply to my request for records sent to him pre-treatment. I need more than medication from pharmacy to get proper treatment for chronic pain in several parts of my 60 yr old body. Do I have a legal right to my records of failed treatment & testing from 16 yr of treatment dr.???

Showing Replies 1 - 2 of 2 RSS Feed

Page of 1     Sorted By:
Verwon Says:

You always have a legal right to your medical records, as long as that doctor is still in that same practice and has them, according to AMA directives.

However, you can't just request them, individuals have to pay for them. There is usually a set free of anywhere from $20 to $30 for the first so many pages, after that, you are charged per page.

However, if another physician requests them, there is no charge, so it might be easier to have a new doctor request them for you.

It should be noted, however, that if you left their practice and moved to a different doctor, if the records were transferred then to the new doctor, the originating office might have destroyed them, thinking they were no longer needed. There are certain instances where they are allowed to do so. They might also be filed far away in some secure archive somewhere, which might take some time for them to access.

As an example, schools are required to keep a student's records for a certain period of time, it used to be 100years, but I am not sure if it still the same, or if might change from state to state. But, I do know that in Pennsylvania, where I grew up, if the school was closing, they could destroy them sooner, but only after offering you the chance to purchase a copy.

In other words, no given entity is required to keep your records indefinitely, though with modern technology, some places don't worry about it, since copies can be stored digitally, so they no longer take up a ton of space.

The best thing to do, if that doctor is still in practice, is to call them and ask, if they still have a copy and what is required for you, or a new doctor to obtain them.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Was this helpful?     0     0  
Tina Says:
via mobile

Re: Verwon (# 1)

My only treating dr of 17 yrs small Phila. Practice had been closed by DEA in 2016. I’ve called Office & written to Same & even his home but I’ve gotten no reply. I can’t find a dr to treat me without re trying all failed treatments which include surgeries ,physical therapy injections Tens anti inflammatory drugs & much more. Please any help would be appreciated?

Was this helpful?     0     0  

Viewing page 1 of 1     Reply

More Discussions:

Have Relocated From Ny To Pensacola/Destin FL area, Does anyone know of pain specialist who can help me? Need percocet 10mg. I have all my records.
Have a multitude of chronic pain issues and can not find doctor to help me.Have medical records with me. Reports from Ne... 28 replies
ive been tested and found that i have a staph infection the lower right side of my jaw what is best way to treat this aside from operation
ive been tested and found that i have a staph infection the lower right side of my jaw which looks like a mumps...what i... 4 replies
The Rights Of A Patient That Wants To Stop Seeing There Dr By Choice Start New And Does Current Have Give You Prescriptio
opiate pain laws when patient wants to stop seeing current Dr. to see Dr. closer to area where I live and work.Its my ch... 2 replies
I Have Been Taking Methadone For 9 Years Went To My Appointment And The Place Was Shut Down Now Cant Get Records Live In Chronic Pain But
I am in immediate need of a pain doctor who will write methadone,my spciatic nerve is crushed and I have 2 slipped disk ... 22 replies
whether levoflox-500 & pantosec -40 mg alongwith alkaston-B6 is used or not for treating stone of kidney or ureters
whether levoflox-500 & pantosec -40 mg alongwith alkaston-B6 is used or not for treating stone of kidney or ureters ... 1 reply
i have a pain on my right shoulder the doctor gave me gen payne but is unbearable does not subside
I have a pain on my right shoulder and the doctor prescribed gen-payne and betapam but up to this day the pain is still ...
i need to know if i have the right pills for my dog
it's a pink round pill with BMP203 on one side ## BMP 203 contains 200mgs of Amoxicillin, an antibiotic, for veterin... 1 reply
My Wife 61 Yrs Is Suffering From Regular Noise Like That Of Rail Engine All The Timecloud Also Has Bursting Pain On Back Head Left Side Even During Wi
My wife 61 yrs having 80/140 BP for years now facing regular noise of running rail engine in the left ear. Also sufferin... 1 reply
Did my Dr. make the right decision please help take time 2 read all this.
Ive been taking oxycode/acetaminophen 10/325mg prescribed from my DR cuz of my reconstructed leg ihave a metal rod intwi... 1 reply
Sir I Have Been Advised To Take Asomex Tm 5mgby The Doctor Am Takin This Drug Since Last Two And Half Months 45 Yrs Old After Taking D
I am taking asomex TM 5 mg. since last two and half months. however this drug have controlled my blood pressure but noe ...

Post a Reply

No registration needed.
Simply fill out the form below.



 Optional, stays hidden.
Get notified when a reply is posted here.

4) Text Verification: *
Prevents SPAM.

Click here to show the question

This form will be submitted securely


Discussion Thread Guidelines: Any participation in the discussion threads signifies your agreement with the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. (1) Act civilized and be respectful towards others. No profanity, vulgarity or lewd / suggestive content is allowed. (2) Posts encouraging, facilitating, or seeking advice about the abuse of medications or other substances are prohibited. (3) Personal contact information (such as telephone numbers, email addresses, etc) is not allowed to appear on our discussion threads. (4) We do not allow our forums to be used for buying, selling, trading, or for the promotion of a product or service. (5) Posting external links to other web sites is not allowed without our prior approval. (6) We reserve the right to edit or remove content which we find objectionable to the community at our sole discretion.

Note: All times displayed are GMT - 7.

This information has been independently compiled and is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice from a qualified healthcare professional; nor is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. For more details please see the Medical Disclaimer. This page was last updated on 18 November 2017.

We are committed to your privacy.

Copyright © 2005-2019 All Rights Reserved. MedsChat® is a registered trademark of Limelight Innovations L.L.C. 9888 W Belleview Ave #5000, Denver, CO, 80123, USA