drug delivery system of cortifoam how to use with images
Based on my research, Cortifoam® comes in an aerosol container with a special rectal applicator. Each individual applicator delivers about (900 mg) of foam; which contains approximately (80 mg) of hydrocortisone as (90 mg) of hydrocortisone acetate. When used as directed, the aerosol container will deliver a minimum of 14 applications.
Dosing and Administration:
The regular dose is a single applicator-ful administered rectally once or twice daily for two or three weeks, and every second day thereafter. Directions for use are listed below and on the carton. They explain how to use the aerosol container and applicator. Satisfactory response usually occurs within five to seven days marked by a decrease in symptoms.
Here is the list of directions I found:
1. Shake foam container vigorously for 5-10 seconds prior to each use. Do not take off the container cap during use of the product.
2. Hold container upright on a level surface and carefully place the tip of the applicator onto the nose of the container cap. CONTAINER MUST BE HELD UPRIGHT TO OBTAIN PROPER FLOW OF MEDICATION.
3. Pull plunger past the fill line on the barrel of the applicator .
4. To fill applicator barrel, firmly press down on the cap flanges, hold for 1 – 2 seconds and release. Pause 5 – 10 seconds to give the foam time to expand in applicator barrel. Repeat until foam reaches fill line, then remove the applicator from the container cap. Allow some foam to remain on the applicator tip. A burst of air may come out of container with first pump.
5. Hold applicator firmly by barrel, making sure thumb and middle finger are positioned securely underneath and resting against barrel wings. Place index finger over the plunger. Gently insert tip into anus. Once in place, push plunger to expel foam, then withdraw applicator.
CAUTION: Be sure to NOT insert any part of the aerosol container directly into the anus. You must only apply the medication to the anus with the enclosed applicator.
6. prior to each use, the parts of the applicator should be pulled apart for thorough cleaning with warm water. The container cap and underlying tip should also be pulled apart and rinsed thoroughly to prevent build-up of foam and possible blockage.
Store at controlled room temperature, 20°-25°C (68°-77°F). DO NOT REFRIGERATE.