Long Term Effects Of Espiride

Comments Submitted Says:

Esperide anti-depressant drug - long time use - I, Mave, have been on esperide for @ least 4 years continuouisly - varying between 2 - 4 capsules a day - the effects were quite significant - i was always tired, even after sleeping for 8 - 12 hrs, i was always grumpy - i forget many things, long & short term, i stopped having my periord after 2 yrs & didn't have them for 3 yrs. it felt like i was comotosed, had no intetest in things i previously loved, like sit coms & comedy, etc. I had no more energy and was freezing cold in summer, i was not interested in sex. then checked with gynea why, certain hormone level extremely high. in last 2 months changed to new anti-depressant - i'm a new person, periods have come back, laughing again, remembering again, loving again, the anger is gone and I don't get so cold any more. I can't wait to go back to gym and excerise. wayne.prior[at]vodamail[dot]co[dot]za

Liz Basson Says:

I have been on Esperide for about a year and a half and I'm experiencing very similar symptoms to the writer above (cold in summer, forgetting things, angry and grumpy, always tired, not interested in sex). I am on one tablet a day - I'd like to know what alternative there is for me - I actually feel like I'm slightly drugged. I'm tempted to stop taking this tablet as I feel it is the Espiride that is causing me to feel the way I do. Is there an alternative tab I could change to?

Verwon Says:

Espiride contains the active ingredient Supiride, this is used to treat psychosis and depression.

It is not approved for use, yet, in the US and Canada.

Those are normal side effects for these types of medications, however, it sounds like you may be having a problem, because they normally taper off as your body adjusts to the medication and should not be so severe after you have been using it for awhile.

Have you tried speaking to your doctor about these problems?

We aren't medical professionals, so can't even begin to guess what alternative medications you can use. Your doctor has to take your full medical history into account, as well as any other medications you might be on, when prescribing something.

http:/­/­en.wikipedia.org/­wiki/­Sulpiride#Side_effects

Tracey Says:

I have stopped taking this drug as it has affected my personality and my life even worse. I often felt 'out of it', frustrated, vaccilated between trying to please at the expense of being myself and then feeling compromised, usnure of myself and confused. I now see a therapist who has put me on a reasonably strict diet and with whom I do bodywork sessions. I immediately felt hugely better, then bad for about a week which he said was to be expected, and now 4 weeks later feeling better and better. Much better than when I was taking the drug and much better than I was initially.

Paul Gerber Says:

Me wife is on espiride, is it possible for her to experience burst vains, or even semi stroke alike side effects from it?

number4 Says:

@ Paul. Only if you dump a truckload on her, implying that the espiride is then on her.
..jokes.. it sounds very serious. It sounds more like a blood pressure or diabetes type issue. Get to a doctor before she explodes.

Debbie Says:

I stopeed taking Espiride after having 1 tablet a day for approx 8 months. After a week of stopping I'm not sleeping well and I feel like my menopause symptoms are returning - hot flushes, pulpitations, etc. but only at night

Annie Says:

It has been a year sinced being diagnosed with Bipolar (The not so bad one apparently i think 1)My docter says i can take them whenever i want just to take the edge off when i am feeling too stressed or having difficulties switching off due to a issue or situation(That is my biggest problem i cant switch off!)I was told that it is harmless and can even be given to pregnant woman.I experiance all those symtoms without Espiride.It deffinitely relaxes me.

Lerato Says:

Thank goodness for bringing this to my attention as I have not had my periods for almost 9 months and all the Dr's cannot seem to figure out what the problem was...not to mention my sudden lack of creativity and drop in marks (I am an honors student in B Com Accounting in South Africa)...

I am interested in conceiving next year...is this going to be possible or do I need to see a Gynaecologist?

WORRIED

Sipho Says:

Been on espiride for 5 months now, my period is heavy and l spot a lot. other than that, l am ok.

Jerome Says:

I would like to add that you should also do a blood work for liver enzymes. The symptoms you enumerated are similarv to abnormal liver enzymes.

Willa Says:

I was given Espiride to help me lactate...I've been using it for 3 years now and although I've stopped breastfeeding, I'm so scared of going off the meds. I've tried, but felt I coulnt do without it. Have I become dependant on it? I just feel so much calmer and emotional stable on it?

Karen Says:

Hi
I have bi-polar ( type 2) and when I get slightly stressed, I also do not "switch off". I have been given espired to help "switch off" at night and take the edge off. I am on bipolar meds and (espiride as an when needed

hanna Says:

hi what anti depressant did you go on after the esperide? thanks hanna

Karen Says:

Hi Hanna
For Bipolar I am on Lamictin ( Lamotrigine), and the Espiride is for now and again usage for anxiety, as it is a tranquillizer. When I cannot "switch off" or go into overdrive mode, that is when espiride is very useful. It is not meant as a first line choice.

Karen Says:

I am very surprised to hear so many ladies are using this drug as a first line choice for an anti-depressant. Was this given to you by a GP or a specialist psychiatrist? Some are on very high dosages.

hanna Says:

Hi many thanks Karen, this was given to me by a Psychiatrist just to keep me calm, i have read that the side effects are wieght gain and i am stressed about this. I also have problems sleeping, although funny enough this is suppose to calm me down?!! have you suffered from any of these symptoms.

Karen Says:

Hi
I also read about weight gain as a side effect. I was told your breasts may get bigger and tender, and that I am experiencing. I have adjusted my diet just to be on the safe side. My anti-depressant is Wellbutrin which is working brilliantly.

RubyRed Says:

I have recently been put on Espiride due to an emotional event that I have recently gone through. I must admint that I dont wake up tired, or have bursts of anger, I find life far more interesting. I am alot calmer and more focused.

In additon, to this I have been on Wellbutrin for 3 months. I was only given a 5 days script for Espiride however am thinking about going off Wellbutrin and staying on Espiride as I feel it makes me feel less of the symptons. However concerned with the effects mentioned....

I find that Wellburtrin makes my ears buzz, like I have beez's in my head.... Which is very frustrating and annoying.

Karen Says:

How long has your ears been buzzing? If you have been only taking it for a few days, then you need to at least give it a month's try.

RubyRed Says:

I have been on Wellbutrin for 3 months, my ears staring buzzing since then.

longterm effects of meganeuron effects and side effects of meganeuron ## 1.side effect of meganeuron 2.Duration of meganeuron tab can take ## Wanted to... 3 replies
long term effects of abuse I have looked extensively for info with my situation but haven't found much. when I was 15 I started doing pills, an... 5 replies
long term effects of prozac on fetus? Has anyone heard of any studies that look at long term side effects of prozac on children whose mothers took prozac whil... 5 replies
long term effects of injecting methadone? The Methadone is the pink liquid. I've used about 60-100mg daily fo 2 to 2.5 years. I now have sirculation problems,... 4 replies
long term effects of nuerontin i am curious to know if long time use of this drug could mimick side effects of Parkinsons?. My dad has been on the drug... 4 replies
Long term effects of Demerol I was on this drug and taking it regularly for way too long. Where or does anyone know the long term effects are for thi... 2 replies
Long term effects of Metadone? My daughter father has been on methadone for about six years. Him and I have a good relationship but we are no longer to... 2 replies
long term effects of Ursodiol? I don't want to remove my gallbladder unlike the doctors suggest. I have multiple small gallstones. I searched and f... 1 reply
long term effects of paragoric taking paragoric as a child for many years , 1 or 2 T each day, whenever my mom felt I needed. Now I have colitis, sever... 1 reply
long term effects of contraceptive pills Am a lady, 23 years old. I cant miss a day taking the contraceptives (e-pills). It contains two tablets....... i have be...