Is It Okay To Chew A Fentanyl 50mg Pain Patch
(Newest posts first)

Comments Submitted Says:

ive been given fentanyl 50mg pain patches an i was just wondering if its okay to cut one in half an chew on it?

Showing Replies 474 - 455 of 474 ( Newest posts first ) RSS Feed

PainSux Says:

BUT Don't agree with the White boys N White girls on ssdi part...sounds like a Diff. issue there..believe me we all get looked at very hard now..it just is what it is..I've seen people almost harassed it feels like to them..even me at times because they want to make sure..states r very hard on docs now to ck.ck.ck. no matter who you r..it's harder for us all..at least where I am..and if u r on ssdi for a reason..the D states disability and alot of times a disability is physical which then leads to pain which can be treated by pain meds if u have a problem so it's not that they have a sore toe and get bottles of pills as u say..they have actual problems for the most part..they don't just pass these things out anymore..so if u can't get them they either feel u don't need them or have done something where they feel u r a risk to them n their practice if u r prescribed them..it's not saying u r but if u fail a U/A or call in and say opps I lost my pills cause you took a months worth in ten days or if they ever do a pill count n u r way off then they can take them away. You just have to be careful now they r hard on us now..but if you do need them and can't get them that sux now also because alot of people do need them but they r scared to prescribe like they used to n more people suffer for it.I've seen it then in alot of cases some of the people go to H to get that opiate they depend on and then it's 100xs worse so it sucks that they r being so hard..but if u don't do them right and you know if u dont..self ck..you may lose or not get them, just what it is now.

PainSux Says:

Good post..I have seen people that don't need these meds really screw it up for us looking for pain relief in the right ways..it's hard becuase it's the nature of the beast and people will always abuse drugs but it has made things alot harder for us who just want some relief to be active and a decent member of society and enjoy life n family...not look for sure new or higher high..bugs the crap outta me as well. I have seen alot more of a tightening down on r meds. And it's from all the abuse that has gone on for sure. But the people in pain r paying for it with the feeling of being almost harassed at times or feeling like u r looked at as a junky becuase of what people hear about pain med abuse. It's gotten harder in all sorts of ways from all sides. Kinda sad really.

Steven G Simpson PoncaWarrior Says:

I have had a hard time getting pain meds - a torn disc in my neck - and being Native - They have said - I was - a drunk - a drug seeker. and I have seen - actuall druggies getting - giant bottle full of meds - with no kind of reason - for them to get them - and all were white boys and girls... all living on social security disability - and then too see people dying over a high they think they get from these patches - and killing themselfs off - I am getting the - 50 every 3 days now. no break through meds - I am thankfull to be getting these - So people - If you don't need them - plz stop messing it up for those of us who really does need them...

PainSux Says:

Diet and excersize to deal with ruined joints and or many other issues someone may have,No Way! If u r overweight and have some pain issues a manageable weight would help a little...But in my case it would make no diff what so ever...I wish it would..God do I wish that would help my pain...Life would only be 100xs easier..as to ur post..sure it doesnt hurt to do those things ofcourse not..but it sure as hell is not close to a way to treat Chronic Pain.

PainSux Says:

A lot of people will do anything to feel high...some can do it and have a tolerance for it and whatever.. others r new to doing these kinda things and hear of a new or diff way to feel high and they do something stupid that their body can't handle and end up in a heap of trouble or dead...it's just not worth the risk. It's the whole it could never happen to me thoughts that eventually lead to it happening to them...it will catch up sooner or later It usually does and you can't undo what is already done..but it is what it is..it sux tho cause as with all things it hurts the people who try to do things right n makes the laws almost impossible even when your on the right path. But it's always been that way and always will be it's the cycle we live..but I'd rather not b chasing after something that always has me running and that i am always trying to catch and will do anything to get. Gets tiring n I've seen it wear alot of people out. But they have to find out for themselves in most cases..You just hope they don't pay to harshly while they figure out what It can n will do to them. The scary thing is when they really have no idea what they r doing or what they can handle and really do end up dead from it...it's scary that way..n it's usually someone telling them how great it is..yeah right.

Steve Says:

All cool. Diet and exercise . YA right. People who have not been in real pain. Please not talk about what you don't know. No pain meds would be needed if we could diet and exercise . Thanks too all

witchy1ru Says:

Have the lot of you that are actually giving instructions on how to chew a TRANSDERMAL PAIN PATCH, lost leave of your senses?!
These patches say TRANSDERMAL for a reason, they are to be applied to your skin, for the love of God! People have literally died because they chose to chew a morphine patch.

PainSux Says:

Sry DNvest I rambled on a bit and didn't see your post b4 your last post about doing your meds right. And taking your time with your doctor to figure your meds out the right way and over time getting things set up.If a few others would be smarter about these things, they would save themselves alot of trouble. I've seen both ends of it and when done right pain meds r your helping hand so to say. But if abused you will eventually end up in a spot u wish u weren't in and things can get soooooo bad in so many Diff. Ways. If you could only show the effects of misuse B4 they start cause I've seen the best and Strongest of people turn into Mush. Best of luck to us all staying on the right path. Cause pain Sux n would rather take meds than be in pain. But please think about taking these meds b4 you do 2 Just get wasted. Unless u wanna b broke or sick as death when you run out or heaven forbid dead. Stay strong!!

PainSux Says:

He bud np on the overlap idea just what I do...I wouldn't want to b getting less of i was so for sure ck that...but it's hard without knowing how your Ins. Is that of course a doc would rather do 1 100 than 2 50s but if u have good ins. And it doesn't cost u much diff outta pocket,And you r getting less MCG for some reason maybee you could try to explain that to your doc and say how u just want to b on a program that works n Doing a 75 and a 50 to make up for the loss in dose and having the overlap with the 1 day stagger. But it depends on ur Doc and he may not want to mess with things to much all at once or 2 much. It's hard to get them to see things sometimes..it's about timing and saying the honest reasons for a change and being a person of your word where they can trust you..it takes time to build trust and 2 be able to raise your amounts and such...I've been lucky to have same Doc for 19yrs and on Meds for 8 or so but it's hard depending on whether u have a new doc just for pain n they deal with alot of abusers and all those things that hurt us who try to stay on the high road and just live life alittle better even if u take high amounts like I do...I make sure anytime I take a U/A I have the right amounts and the right drugs in my body which r the ones I am Given ONLY..I never use anything other than my own in fear of ever losing my script..I would never chance it..but I hope you can get it to where you don't have the bad days here n there and get it to where it just is the right amount and mix..but if u r in pain b smart u will gain trust n the ability to not be questioned or shot down if u ask for a change..kinda all long term things..not just advice for someone who takes pills here n there for diff reasons other than a pain regimin..which happens..these r hard to manage n it takes alot to stay in control of things but it's not a problem if u want to stay in control and keep a log even on what helps the best n amounts u r using..I did that n over time have been able to really stay on top of it instead of the meds changing me I have been able to know when or if I need to change my meds n have gotten to know my body n how works and when things rnt working as well n my need tweeking...it's a process bud. But b honest with yourself and it will fall into place from there...do the wrong things for the wrong reasons n these things will take over b4 u even realize..n it's a battle that is a pain to fight esp. If u really r in pain..don't let it get to your brain...take care. Best of luck. Sry for all the ramble on just trying to lyk about a road I've already been down I guess.

DNvest Says:

thank you, painsux. I like that catchy saying at the end: take your pain medicine, don't let it take you. I understand completely about how these patches allow you to actually LIVE, whereas you wouldn't have a life without them. Being there for your kids is sooo important, too. And thanks for the advice about overlapping a weaker patch so you don't feel the pinch on the 3rd day. I will ask my doc about this. I am now on the 100mcg patches q 72, though I WAS using the 75mcg patches q 48. And I just realized: Now I am actually getting 250 mcg LESS medication (in one month) than I was getting before the doc increased my pain medicine! I haven't reached the 3rd day yet, but at least I have a little 75mcg patches to help me get through until I contact the doc. I will keep an open mind, but I'm absolutely certain the 100mcg will start wearing off after 48 hours. I won't put those two patches on together, but can take the 100mcg off after it starts weakening. I have a few 75mcg that I took off after 48 hours, thank goodness! Maybe 2 of THOSE at the same time will help if it gets too bad.

DNvest Says:

I disagree with your statement that there is no better pain relief that exercise, diet, etc. That is just plain FALSE info. Maybe that works in some cases, but not more serious ones. My DJD, DDD, is so bad that sometimes I can barely move. the Fentanyl is what helps me actually function and have a LIFE outside of sitting in agony. And it also ALLOWS me to be able to walk & exercise whereas I would otherwise not be able. But you are right about one thing: always take the meds as prescribed and nothing else. If it's not enough, then talk to your doctor. A good pain medicine doc will adjust your meds accordingly. Though he may need to step it up gradually, you will just have to be patient. Anyone who thinks pain medicine is NOT NEEDED for the pain some of us have 24/7 hasn't a clue what pain really is. Hopefully you never will. But until then, don't try to judge what you don't know anything about.

yosh Says:

There is no pain that is 110% curable. Instant relief yes, but instant death, addiction, hell on earth lifestyle... So why do it. Don't sell your meds, take as prescribed, and search for alternative relief. Opiates like fentanyl are too dangerous to mess with. Wear it as a patch or don't use it. There is no better pain prevention than diet, exercise, and healthy lifestyle. If you're overweight then lose weight. If you are achy then rest. There is always a solution vs poor choices like chewing a patch.

PainSux Says:

Yeh I've been thru alot and have alot of pain n issues...but the meds help me live...I am able to get around and function...and normaly...I have slowly gone up over many yrs to get to this point and I have a high tolerance now at this point...but thank god for them..they let me be a part of my kids lives and all when I wouldn't b able too..it is alot but when u slowly work to that point it don't feel like alot for me I guess..this works for me maybee in time u could switch to something diff for breakthrough pain if u r having bad days with the 3rd day of he patch...n finding right combo is key...I stagger my patches by 1 day so I don't get that feeling of a day without...idk if u have insurance that helps pay but being able to have the 2 patches helps me...it's about doing the meds right...being honest with the doctor...telling them if pain is under control or not and hopefully they work with you... cause I've tried 20 diff combos of things to where I am at now n may switch again but I'm good for now...it's about getting the right pain management for you..we r all diff. N some things work better for some than other...I hate morphine my friend swears by it he hates oxy I swear by it so it's what your body will agree with..best of luck to you..pain is a hard thing to get under control..but always mentaly try to stay in control and don't let the drug take you u just take the drug and stay you but without as much pain...take care bud

dnvest Says:

holy hell, that's a lot of medicine. I went to my pain mgmt doc this week to ask for stronger patch than 75 mcg. It's just not working very well for my pain anymore, and I take 4 norco daily for breakthrough pain. I also change the patch every 48 hours, not 72 hours - because the medicine wears off after about 2 days and then I start hurting real bad again. Well, my doc reluctantly increased me to the 100mcg patch with same norco, but he said I have to wear for 72 hours. He said that was too big of a jump up in one short time and he couldn't take that chance of me dying. So, for the next month (at least) I have to deal with 1 whole day of writing agony because I know it's going to wear off after 2 days. damn. You must have severe injuries or condition to take 10 oxycodone and 150 mcg patches. I hope that holds up and continues working for you for a very long time.

PainSux Says:

I use a 100mcg and a 50 mcg patch daily also take 10 of the 20mg oxycodone a day prescribed by a doctor. And never even feel high and function normally. Also use 3mg of xanax a day. I've been on meds for 8 yrs tho and just have built up a tolerance I guess but it depends on the person. If not worked up to I wouldn't just dive in the deep end of a pool so to say...try to use good judgement but take em right...don't chew or heat up...try to just be smart and careful. it's ur life and no need to play Russian roulette with it..

Steve Says:

It seems it does not do anything for me .. Is this possible??

VERY CONCERNED AUNT Says:

ABSOLUTLY NOT! My nephew is in the hospital right this very moment on life support because he chewed up a pain patch. His wife come home and found him face down in the floor yesterday turning blue. DO NOT TAKE THAT CHANCE.

shaw Says:

My uncle died last night from a 100patch by putting in his mouth..please spread the word 2015 its killing people..please stop it if you know of anyone abusing this drug..because your playing with fire..you will die only a matter of time.. Stop think about your family.because you won't wake up from this ride..god bless this post..

Pattypat Says:

Never chew a fentanyl patch, period. Go ask your Doc that question and see how he responds. It would say CHEW on instructions. Does it? No. I know that many people on here ask FOR THEIR FRIEND (yeah sure), but come on guys...YOULL only end up worse, or even dead. Wake up.

Flash Says:

I have chewed on quarters of fent parches, soboxin patches, morphine patches and eaten a lot of methadone in my day. I'm not saying it is the right thing to do, but to each his own. Moderation is the key that's what I always say. And if you have never done it I would advise not to take that detour in life. May you live long and prosper.

started fentanyl 50mg 2 days ago with 15mg breakthru and pain is intolerable it safe to take 30mg roxicodone patch I have had severe chronic nerve pain in my lower back from a botch-up surgery for 7 yrs. I was taking roxicodone 30mg wi... 2 replies
Hello Ive Been On The Fentanyl Patchfor About 11 Years Starting At 25 Mcg Now 75 For Last 2 Yearsthe Problem Is It Does Help But Pain Iam I Besides being on the patch. It seems after the second day on. the night before I chang it every 3 days. I have much pain... 8 replies
Is There Anyway To Calm The Feeling Of Anxiety From Withdrawl Fentanyl Patch I WAS ON THE FENTANYL 50 MG PATCH FOR A LONG WHILE THEN WAS PUT ON A LOWER DOSE OF 25 MG AND THEN 12 MG TO SLOWLY TAKE M... 9 replies
fentanyl pach. pain at patch site Hello I have been on fentanyl since December. I started having pain at the patch site the last three months. I called my... 1 reply
IN NEED OF DOCTOR Fentanyl Pain Patch In need of finding a doctor in Dallas to prescribe my fentynl patches I have been on 150mcg for 9 years and just moved h... 7 replies
need doctor to prescribe fentanyl patch for severe pain management I have steel rods in my back for scoliosis. They have caused severe nerve damage and I am in constant pain.Fentanyl patc... 2 replies
need doctor to prescribe fentanyl patch for severe pain managemen close to berea or somerset,ky. I don't understand why I have to suffer so much and I've lost out on so much in life.It don't seem fair.I li...
I am I fentanyl patch 25 every 2 days and norco10/325 4times a day the pain control is not strong enough I have my appointment with pain management tomorrow. I am on fentanyl patch 25 every 48 hours and norco 10/325 four time... 16 replies
i know fentanyl is supposed to be stronger than morphine however it does not control my severe back pain as well the ms continental 100 mg tr tid I know Fentanyl is supposed to be stronger than Morphine however it does not help me near as much! !! I wish so bad that... 2 replies
fentanyl patch withdrawal symptoms and duration i have post sirgical lower back pain. was in 50 mcg pat. ch and had side effects ans so decided to wean off. i finished ... 122 replies