Where Can I Buy Paregoric

Steve Spang Says:

Have always had this in the med cabinet for occasional stomach cramps. Am finally running low. I'm 67 years old. Suggestions?

Page of 1    Sorted By:

Verwon Says:

We've had many questions about this product recently and I can only inform you that it has been discontinued.

The main problem with it is that it contained a tincture of Opium, which lead to severe abuse and addiction in some people. These dangers led to it being pulled from the market.

From what I understand, it is now only available by prescription, in the U.S.

You can read more here:

http:/­/­www.medschat.com/­wiki/­Paregoric/­

You may want to ask your doctor or pharmacist for a product that can help with stomach cramping. Proper treatment requires discovering what is causing the cramping.

Are there any other comments or questions?

Deb Says:

I too are trying to figure out what they are doing with Paragoric. I have had a prescription for about 1 year. I used it if Lomotil did not work for IBS. Around December 2010 they pulled it from the market. The pharmacies didn't even know why. I didn't like taken it, but sometimes that was the only thing that would stop my IBS . they need to put it back for those who really need it. Every drug out there some druggy is going to find a way to abuse it. That is not fair to the ones who need it.

Lance Says:

I found a gallon of Paregoric USP Tincture Opium Camphorated. We cleaned out a house for a woman whose husband died and he owned a drug store. How do I dispose of it?

Jim Says:

I will take some. It relaxes the smooth muscles of the stomach and intestine and is a great remedy when you have a serious attack of IBS. In the fifties when I was a boy, my grandfather who was a doctor, gave it to me for severe stamach cramps. It worked really well. He was an exceptional doctor even for his time. He had two Presedential citations for his contribution to medicine. Too bad it has been abused and that it has been discontinued; because for some it is the only thing that works.

Verwon Says:

Lance, under U.S. FDA guidelines, proper disposal methods advise you to mix it into some undesirable substance, such as kitty litter, or to add dish soap or detergent to it, to thin it out and make it worthless.

Your other alternative is to take it to a local pharmacy and they will gladly dispose of it for you.

http:/­/­www.medschat.com/­wiki/­Paregoric/­

Has anyone consulted with their doctor to try and find an alternative?

Lorbee Says:

Think you need a doctor's Rx now-you won't be buying that over the counter anymore. How long have you had that bottle, anyway? I'm 63 and I know they stopped selling paregoric OTC in the 60s. I am wondering now since it is an opiate how many people were hooked on it and that is why they yanked it off the shelves.

Rowen Says:

It is no longer available in the US either as of months ago I'm told by my pharmacist.

Richard Says:

So truth I also has IBS when Lomotol dont work then Im force to use Paregoric but now with so hard to find forced to stay in home when I get flare up please help us put this back on market so some of us can live a normal life people will abuse any drug so dont let us suffer because of them we need something else if they arent going to put back on market

Lorbee Says:

I thought Lomotil was supposed to be really good at controlling diarrhea but I had food poisoning once and lomotil didn't do a thing. I don't know what else you cdan do except to try to phone a doctor to see what takes paregoric's place. I feel sorry for your problem, really. We all have to suffer because of people abusing things, sadly.

Diddly Doo Dah Says:

U dispose of it by taking it.. and Enjoying it

Kathy Says:

If you or someone you know goes on a cruise to the Caribbean islands, you can find paragoric in their pharmacies OTC.

Hi-Tech Pharmacal Says:

Paregoric is available from Hi-Tech Pharmacal and has been in the supply chain since August 2012. Independent pharmacies and chain pharmacies should be able to order through their local wholesaler. Pharmacists can also speak with your doctor about the availability of Paregoric.

Hi-Tech Pharmacal

Rob Says:

I have a perscription and can not get it filled because the manufacturer took it off the market. I have taken Paregoric since I was a kid only when needed for severe stomach cramps.

Margie Says:

You are wrong. Paragoric was available into the 70's when I had my children. It only took a signature at the pharmacy. This was in Ohio

Larkspur Says:

@Lorbee - You are mistaken. Paregoric was available w/ out a prescription via pharmacists only as late as 1981 when I last took it for severe illness following the birth of my 2nd child.

lumpy1 Says:

It's a potent drug. I had a room mate in 1964 who would go from pharmacy to pharmacy buying up all the preagoric he could find, over the counter. He would then heat it, and the opium would rise to the top and then he would decant it, ingest the now almost pure opium. He was way ahead of his time. Eventaully one pharmacist spoke to another as to why the paregoric was flying off their shelves. The cops set up a sting and cought him red handed. He never spent time in jail, but he was on parole. A few years later he was killed in an auto accident and i'm sure he was high.

Alicia Says:

@lumpy1, your roommate story is funny and sad all at the same time. He and others like him are the reason it became unavailable OTC.

Lilkit2 Says:

I would have bought it from you . It never goes bad, lol!

Minoguesque Says:

Verwon, tincture of opium BP is also available from MacFarlan Smith of Gorgie, Edinburgh, Scotland, the major opiate and opioid manufacturer of the UK.

Gee's Linctus is the only over the counter preparation containing opium still available, made by many manufacturers and sold under mainly store brand label. Boot's the Chemist, the largest UK Chain, is the best known of these.

Where To Purchase Paregoric I've used Paregoric for 15 years and can't find it. Is there anywhere in the U.S. or other countries where this ... 242 replies
Canada Paregoric Purchase I have ben using Paregoric for years abd it was taken off the American Market . I still am in need as it is the only thi... 3 replies
How Can I Get A Full Bottle Of Paregoric ive got a gastro intestional problen,i need to find a site i can order some pareghoric`,its the only thing that takes th... 3 replies
Where can I buy Belttix? I bought Belttix in Nicaragua and I desperately need some more. This product does work and is great. ## How can I contac... 4 replies
where can i buy paragoric for adb pain and diarrhia ## I am unaware of a new product being available with this name and the old one that was on th... 4 replies
where can i buy remtyme in the uk i want to try remtyme pills but can not find where to buy in the uk .as i live in portugal the +ost from america takes w... 3 replies
Where Can I Buy Vanco Vapor Rub I am looking for Vanco vapor rub ## I actually can't find anything listed under the name Vanco. What country is it f... 3 replies
where can I buy medadyne? I need to buy medadyne. It is the only medication that helps significantly heal canker sores. Is there a pharmacy in US ... 3 replies
WHERE CAN I BUY ISODINE I need to know where to buy Isodine, is it available in the United States, if not, is there a supplement equal to Isodin... 2 replies
where can I buy butesin with metaphen This is a great burn cream for any kind of burn you may get ## the ingredients are in a number of products in the US, wh... 2 replies